DIY & Helpful Links
Helpful Links — Aquaponics
- DIY Manuals — A series of papers and manuals that will help you setup your own aquaponics system.
- About design types — Examples of some of the design types that can be used when setting up your own aquaponic system.
- Build your own system — Basic instructions on the equipment needed and how to setup a starter system that will grow tomatoes. Gold fish are used in this example due to the low maintenance needed to raise them.
- Which fish are easiest to raise — Brief description of some of the more common cold water fish raised using aquaculture.
- Which plants are easiest to grow — A list of some of the plants that will grow best in your aquaponic system.
- Community-Supported Wiki — From the Urban Farming Guys. Provides DIY system plans as well as other tips on raising certain types of fish and produce.
- FairCompanies Aquaponic Wiki — Can answer many questions about setting up your own aquaponic system.
Videos — Aquaponics
- DIY aquaponics video from faircompanies.com — Provides tips and instructions on building your own aquaponic system.
- Growing Power’s commercial scale greenhouse in Milwaukee, WI - Includes useful tips for your own at home system as well as insights into how a fully operational commercial system looks. Watch Pt 1 here | Watch Pt 2 here | Watch Pt 3 here
- How to install your own aquaponic system, brought to you by Backyard Aquaponics - Shows you how to set up a functioning aquaponics system from basic materials that can be bought at a hardware store. Watch Pt 1 here | Watch Pt 2 here | Watch Pt 3 here
- Introduction to practical aquaponics by Murray Hallams (Australia) — Gives tips on fish tank to grow bed ratios as well as how many fish to stock in your tank and optimal grow bed depth.
- Vortex Filter System Step-by-step — Directions on designing a vortex filter system from the Urban Farming Guys.
- Video roundup provided by treehugger.com — Demonstrates some useful tips for setting up an aquaponic system.
Videos – Hydroponics
- DIY video — A video from treehugger.com that will help you set up your own hydroponic system.
- How to video for beginners - Another Hydroponics for beginners video, this one has you use slightly different materials.
- How to video: deep water culture system design — Tips for making your own deep water culture (DWC) system.
- How to video: system design with PVC — Build a hydroponic system for only $50 with PVC.
Helpful Links — Aquaculture
- DIY Urban Aquaculture Manual - A manual on urban aquaculture, also covers aquaponics and recirculating water systems.
- Aquaculture Step-by-Step - A manual on first steps for setting up your own aquaculture system
- ACES Aquaculture Resources - A pre-compiled list of manuals, videos and tips on aquaculture, aquaponics and getting into the business commercially
Recirculating Farms National Map
Map of recirculating hydroponic, aquaponic, and aquaculture commercial farms across the United States, with specific information about farm locations, products, distribution and sales, tour and class availability, and contact information. Educational and nonprofit farms coming soon!
This map is a living document, and we welcome your input. Don't see a farm that should be on here? Email to let us know.
Reports & Factsheets
- Bring Fresh Local Food to Louisiana Schools Fact Sheet [2015 PDF]
- Support Urban Agriculture in Louisiana Fact Sheet [2015 PDF]
- Brochure [2015 PDF]
- "The Most Important Fish" - Menhaden Fact Sheet [2014 PDF]
- Farmers' Guide to Insurance [2013 PDF]
- FULL REPORT! From Out of the Blue, Green Farming [2013 PDF]
- Recirculating Farms Myths and Facts (short version) [2011 PDF]
- Recirculating Farms Myths and Facts [2011 PDF]
- Water Usage in Recirculating Farms [2011 PDF]
- Report on Recirculating Aquaculture [PDF] - this report was written in 2009, when this organization began as the Alliance for Sustainable Aquaculture under Food & Water Watch. The group has since developed into the Recirculating Farms Coalition to be inclusive of recirculating hydroponic, aquaponic and aquaculture farms. In 2013, we released an updated version of this report - but are providing it in its original form for your information and reference.